WW2 German Nazi WAFFEN SS SCHOOL SS-Junkerschule Prag brush
SS Junker School Prague-Dewitz
During the National Socialist era, the SS Junkerschule Prag-Dewitz was one of five war schools ( Junkerschulen ) in which the Waffen-SS trained their military offspring. It existed from 1944 to 1945 and was located in the northwestern Prague district of Dejvice (German: Dewitz ).
The school was set up in the early summer of 1944 by order of the SS headquarters . Since the Allied air raids on Berlin, the SS had been working on relocating many of its facilities to the " Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia ". The SS-Junkerschule Prag-Dewitz was housed in the building of the New Technical University , which at that time had the address Bei der Neue Technik 14, Prague XIX (today: ul. Zikova). It started operations on July 3, 1944.
The teaching program of the SS Junker School in Prague-Dewitz included not only war Junker courses, in which junior officers of the Waffen-SS were trained, but also courses for disabled SS Junkers.
It was divided into a teaching group with 4 inspections (roughly: departments), each comprising 3-4 Junkers. In August 1944, a fifth inspection was added, in which medical officer candidates were trained. The school was commanded by SS Standartenfuhrer Wolfgang Jörchel (1907-1945). Jörchel, a graduate of the SS Junker School in Bad Tölz , had last commanded the SS Volunteer Panzergrenadier Regiment 48 "General Seyffardt", had held the Knight's Cross since April 1944 and rose to the rank in the Waffen SS in September 1944 Rank of Standard Leaderon. On May 12, 1945, he died in Prague after being arrested by Czechs under unclear circumstances.
On April 13, 1945, the school was dissolved. Teaching staff and course participants were transferred to different locations:
some of the course participants for Waffen-SS field units
some of the teaching staff and course participants of the 1st and 2nd inspection to Prague-Rusin ( Ruzyně ), where they were incorporated into the SS regiment "Moravia".
Parts of the course on the SS troop training area in Bohemia
Course participants from the anti-aircraft inspection for the SS alarm anti-aircraft battery in Prague
The SS military training ground in Bohemia near Benešov was one of the training facilities used by the Junker School .